Sunday, June 17, 2012

Go, Daddy, Go!


We enjoyed a great Father's Day-weekend at the Whitfield house. Sophie even said, "This is the best Father's Day I've ever had!" It started with "Team Whitfield" braving the weather on Saturday (and braving a 5:45 am departure from the house!) to cheer Daddy on at his second triathlon.

Because of the course set-up, Sophie, Ries, and I got to watch all three legs of the event.  Even though it was pouring rain on us, Sophie yelled, "Go, Daddy, Go!" every time he passed by us.  Doug did an amazing job, finishing 2nd in his division! I felt overwhelmed with pride and gratitude as I cheered on my wonderful husband who models persistence, courage, strength, and confidence for my two children.

Despite the rain and the early wake-up call, Sophie was ecstatic to celebrate Daddy!
The weekend also included watching the US Open and a D and E date night--the first date since Ries was born.  On Sunday, we caught a quick ferry to Bainbridge Island for brunch and then enjoyed more golf and playtime.

Trying to elicit some sweet responses, I asked Sophie some questions about her Daddy.

Why do you love Daddy?  Because he talks and jumps.
What is your favorite thing that Daddy does for you? Looks for us when we're gone.
What is Daddy's favorite thing to say? It's night-night time and you love to say goodnight.
How old is Daddy? I don't know.  Um, maybe 11.  Is he 11?
What is Daddy's favorite thing to do? Run and talk.
What is Daddy's favorite food? Hot sauce

And then, the absolute gem of a statement finally arrived, completely unprompted...randomly, at the end of my "interview" with Sophie, she said to Doug, "if you shave yourself, you can look like me."

He is the hands-on father who does it all...including driving with Patty, the potty-doll, per Sophie's commands.
Sophie loved pointing out "The Space Metal" or "The Space Beetle."

This was actually a happy face as we rode the ferry home.



Other shots from the week:



"Mommy, Ries looks like a meercat cuz he's looking around." 



Riding the tractor at the zoo
I am so thankful that my two children will have a father who is engaged, supportive, compassionate, patient, and thoughtful.  He always puts the three of us first.  Happy Father's Day, D! We love you!

2 comments:

Ali said...

Congrats to Doug. Quite impressive!

Trina said...

He's got to be at least 12!