Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Under Construction


We are currently under construction.

Exhibit A: New Master Bedroom 

What is behind Door #1?

This is the new entry to our new master bedroom.  This remodel has been a massive undertaking and Doug has made great progress despite a hectic work and travel schedule.  This is the only photo for now... I'll save the photos of the process once it's totally finished.

Exhibit B: Potty Training

It was the best of times (in theory).... What can go wrong when a POTTY PARTY involves streamers, balloons, a new potty-baby, a scavenger hunt, a sticker chart, M & Ms, a new potty seat, new undies, a new timer, and a mom who has all the answers?!!!












It was the worst of times...(no photos or captions necessary...you can imagine).    This process was/is much more emotionally draining than I expected. We're still on the journey, but I'm feeling more optimistic today than I did after Day 1. THANK GOD for my wonderful husband and my wise mom who have dealt with my breakdowns! This has been overwhelming for me.  Sophie is such sharp girl that I had high expectations for her potty-training-learning-curve.  But her intelligence is matched by her sensitivity.  After a few days, it became evident that the pressure and stress of potty training was causing her anxiety and guilt.  We've regrouped and adjusted our game plan, and Sophie is showing great success!  My mom's visit this week was perfectly timed because I needed her to help me adjust my potty training plan to better nurture and support Sophie.  And that has made all the difference over the past 24 hours.  I can recognize how I put unfair expectations on this process, and how I took any potty challenges/accidents personally--- (ex.  what was I doing wrong as a mom?).  My sweet, little Sophie is only 2, and she must rewire her brain to reach this new developmental milestone.  My potty party and our path to success has taught me quite a bit about myself as a mother.  Who knew that potty talk could bring about such personal reflection and growth?!

...amusement with tissue paper...
Although it caused some hiccups with our potty training, Sophie's sensitivity is one of her greatest strengths.  She expresses her emotions in articulate ways and shows compassion for herself and others.  As she has found more frequent success on the potty, I've seen her relief, her pride, and her confidence through huge grins and exclamations of "Yahoo! I did it!" Tonight, after earning a few rewards, she said, "Mommy, I have a happy tear for myself."


After we had to drop Grandma off at the airport today, Sophie was very sad, saying, "I have a broken heart because I love Grandma and I don't want her to go home."


She cried the entire drive home and only stopped crying when we pulled into the driveway and saw Doug's car.  She said, "Daddy's home!"  Holding back my own tears, I had to explain that Daddy's car was here, but he was still out of town for work.  She said, "Oh, I'm heartbroken again."  I was flooded with emotion.

Daddy and Sophie enjoyed a heart-shaped pizza party last week. 
But 20 minutes later, as she earned more rewards on the potty, she told me, "My heart is full again."  She was so proud of herself.  I am in love with this little girl's heart, with her passion, with her honesty, with her determination, and with her courage.

The metaphor of being "under construction" applies to many areas of our lives, beyond just our new master bedroom and Sophie's potty training.  My body is under construction as I construct a new life!  But, the entire process of parenting is a construction project where we assess, adjust, respond, build, support, regroup, and try again... I'm just so thankful for the wonderful people in my life--husband, parents, and friends--who encourage me along the way.

Here's to a week of full hearts!

No comments: