Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend of Whitfield





The Whitfield women (Doug's mum and sister) visited our home this past weekend.  Sophie (and I!!) were spoiled by all the love and attention from MB and Auntie Pippy.  It was a really relaxed weekend that included a trip to the "fun bookstore", yummy food, a pedicure, early bedtimes, and lots of potty talk (potty training continues....).  Doug was out of town until Saturday night, but it was great to have the Whitfield family together.





...I'm massive...
Sophie finally seemed to conceptualize that MB was Daddy's mummy and that Auntie Pippy was Daddy's sister.  She asked MB to tell stories about Daddy and to tell stories about MB's own Daddy and Mommy.  It was very sweet.  Sophie asked MB, "Where's your Daddy live?"  MB replied, "Heaven."  Sophie answered with her fabulous intonation, "Oh, heaven?  Does he love you?"  Sophie's questions were so pure, so genuine, and unknowingly, so insightful!




At Sunday School, Sophie colored a little book that narrated a Biblical story.  As she sat on the public toilet at church, she pointed to one of the little book's pictures and said, "These are the nice lions and this is the God, Mommy." At that moment, I experienced one of those out-of- (BIG) body-moments---here I was, with my blessed, big belly, squeezed into a public toilet with my daughter who was successfully using the potty and talking to me about "the God."  It's probably blasphemous to place peeing in the potty and recognition of God on the same level, but I was overwhelmed with pride for her growth, with joy for her personality, and with dismay at the quick passage of time.



(With these hormones, I'm sentimental at just about everything.  Without discounting the significance of that moment in the church bathroom, I must admit that I cry while watching reality tv and while reading Puff The Magic Dragon, too! I joked with my dad that it's not coincidental that the increase in Doug's travel occurs as I enter the final 10 weeks of pregnancy!)


No comments: