Sophie's concept of the week is "each of us". (I set the table for each of us. Each of us has a cup. I give each of us a sticker. Music plays for each of us.) It's been wonderful because she often will include "baby brother" in these conversations (Each of us has a bed, but not baby brother. He's too little.)
We were blessed this weekend with some warmer temperatures and sunshine. While Doug slaved away on our remodel project, Sophie and I walked down to the beach to build castles, throw rocks and sticks, watch dogs swim, and get fresh air. She looked like a massive dork...but a cute dork. As we were walking, I commented about how I appreciated the "nice, new sidewalks." She stole this phrase and spent 5 minutes saying sentences like "I like the nice, new bushes. I like those nice, new trees. I like the nice, new car (an old beater...)." This was cute and funny until a young man (in very good shape, mind you) ran by us. Sophie LOUDLY commented, "I like that nice, new man!" He turned around and it was embarrassing! Once at the beach, we were unfortunately joined by a group of teenage boys who were smoking an illegal substance. My daughter (who was once shy) has suddenly become gregarious and independent. She hopped along the beach, yelling back at me, "I want to go play with those guys, mommy." They laughed, and again, I was embarrassed! Later Sophie rolled her eyes at me as I tried to help her build a sand castle for Snow White. She said, "No, mommy. That's waaaay tooooo muuuuuch. Use just a pinch of sand."
Sophie is a sponge. We are constantly amazed (and often drawn to tears) by her recitation of stories and memorization of unique word choice and syntax within those stories. One of her books mentions "true blue friends." Sophie has used that description throughout the week, but today, she laughed and told me we were true brown friends. She put her hand on her forehead and produced a fake and exaggerated laugh to indicate that she knew her color choice was sooooo funny.
![]() |
| When I tried to take her photo, she said that she would "smile cheese but not open my eyes, mommy." |
![]() |
| Sophie and all of her animals were pretending to be kittens-- "each of us a kitten. Each of us cuddling." |
And a post entitled "Each of Us" wouldn't be complete without a little update on Sophie's wild, out-of- control, and big baby brother. My belly is a completely different shape and in a different position than when I was pregnant with S. Doug cannot get over the kicks and boots that I'm feeling regularly. As I read stories with Sophie this afternoon before nap time, she even felt him do some acrobatics. She said "Baby brother wants to come out of your belly button." It sure feels like she is right!









No comments:
Post a Comment