Sunday, March 25, 2012

Words, words, words...




My seniors are currently studying Hamlet.  There is this brilliant scene in which Polonius asks Hamlet what he is reading.  Hamlet sarcastically and slyly responds, "Words. Words. Words." Hamlet loves to play with language to manipulate the people around him. By no means am I relating my 2.5 year old daughter to the complex character of Hamlet, but I am obsessed with her playful use of words and her often sarcastic and inventive conversations. 

Sophie loves to read.  She will trace her index finger on the words on the page and narrate the story that she reads.  The other day, I peeked around the corner to ask her what she was reading.  She replied, "A book, mommy.  With words."  Then she snapped her head back down quickly indicating that I was wasting her time! She definitely made me feel like an idiot :)

"Mommy, I was reading books and Whitney (her nanny) was singing and she detracted me.  I tell her stop singing."  Obviously, Sophie meant "distracted" as opposed to "detracted" but I also found it hysterical that she seemed so annoyed that Whitney would have the gall to sing while Sophie read books!


When Doug is out of town, Whitney arrives very early since I'm at work by 6 am... One morning, around 6, Whitney heard Sophie crying in her room.  Knowing it was much too early for Sophie's wake-up call, Whitney waited a few minutes to see if Sophie would fall back asleep.  She heard Sophie say to herself, "I just don't know why Mommy won't open the door."  It was such cute sentence construction.


"Drive carefully, Mommy.  Be a good driver like Daddy."

This command didn't go over well....

"Stop talking, mommy and daddy.  It's my turn to talk."

Again, another command that didn't go over well...

This sweet high school boy befriended Sophie in line for dinner at Chipotle.  He was on a date with a girl, but he and Sophie conversed about Jamba Juice smoothies, numbers, her favorite color... I told him her name was Sophie, but she corrected me and said to him, "I'm Ernie.  Call me Ernie."  After we all got our food and parted ways, Sophie insisted "I don't want him eat with that girl.  I want to talk more."  Later, she stated, "I want to make a new friend." Is she 2 or 22? How is she already experiencing the life cycle of a crush?

While reading a book, I made note that, unlike the nearly 12 lovies that she sleeps with, the elephant going to bed only had 1 lovey.  Her response? "That's just ridiculous, elephant."



"Auntie Ali should name her baby Recess.  Or maybe Egg Candle. Recess rhymes with baby brother's name."

A.  I have no idea how she knows what recess is....
B.  HINT: "Recess" does sound a lot like baby brother's name...

We were making a joke about the title of the book, Slummy Mummy, that a friend sent me.   Sophie thinks that it is the funniest thing EVER to call me "Slummy Mummy."  We were taking turns calling one another that name when I flipped open the book jacket to the photograph of the lady on the inside cover (the woman who wrote the book).  I said, "That lady is a Slummy Mummy!" Sophie immediately stopped laughing and corrected me, saying, "No, mommy.  You're wrong.  That's the author." You can't get anything past this child...



To celebrate "Clean Plate Club", Daddy asked Sophie what letter does the word "fork" start with.... She said, "Hmmm, that's a really tricky one."

"What starts with J, Sophie?"
"Jaywalker."
Who taught her that word?!

In the middle of a game of pretend at the park: "Let me be a homemaker. I'm going to be a homemaker."  She honestly wanted to make homes...building them with sticks.

Sophie sings and dances all the time.  She makes up her own songs, and they're absolutely hysterical.  Just for fun, I'm including a short video from the park this week. D and I are not the most consistent in taping her antics, but this video will have to do!



AND, I'VE SAVED THE BEST "WORDS, WORDS, WORDS" FOR LAST:

After church every Sunday, we make a trip to Starbucks.  Doug didn't join us today, because he is spending every waking hour on our remodel.  So, prior to our departure, Sophie took Daddy's Starbucks order.  When I asked her what he wanted, she replied "Um, Daddy wants a blond wife."

I assumed she meant a "blond roast".... My dad always told us that it's the little words that matter...






1 comment:

Whitney said...

She's a funny one, that Sophie! I love every minute I spend with her!