Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Unbelievable




Years and years ago, when Doug and I were newly married, I tagged along with him to a conference with motivational speakers.  I'm often fairly cynical of fluff, small talk, rhetoric, and self-help language.  So, I remember spending most of the day rolling my eyes.  But, one particular commentary stuck with both Doug and me that day.  This speaker, an assistant and sidekick to Donald Trump on the Apprentice shows, embraced the power of the single word "unbelievable."  He explained that it is an amazing word because of the two possible interpretations it has.  (ex.  "You crashed your car? Unbelievable." or "You earned a huge bonus at work? Unbelievable." or "You just hit your brother with the lego plane? Unbelievable." or "You decided to share that Halloween Candy with one another? Unbelievable.")  Doug and I often use that word because of its amazing power.

Well, the end of October and beginning of November has been unbelievable.  In an, "this has been awesome" kind of unbelievable.

Halloween!




Sophie was a princess My Little Pony.  Cameron was a "ninja ghost rider" who looked more like Joseph or a shepherd.  His original idea (.. or was it my original idea??!!) was to be a My Little Pony like Sophie, so we bought him a similar horse costume.  Then, in early October, his idea changed to a ghost rider... half ghost, half rider.  In an Unbelievable example of parenting, I just ignored the change of costume and assumed I'd be able to convince him to be a pony.  Unbelievable.  Well, the morning of his preschool Halloween party, through his tears and tantrums, I realized that I had to think quickly to create his ghost rider costume.  Poor 2nd child. Doug was out of town so I text him "Help! Cameron really wants to be a ghost rider.  What is that? How can I make it?"  Eventually, I ripped up an old toga costume of Doug's (don't ask...) but that didn't work.  So Cameron wore one of Sophie's white sweaters and the leather strap from the toga costume which morphed into a ninja ghost rider.  I was dying of laughter.  His bizarre costume was a MOM. FAIL. Unbelievable.  But he loved it.



... an Unbelievably long photo shoot in our attempt to document the Unbelievable sweetness of these 4 cousins and friends.  These are Unbelievable memories.






Disney on Ice: Frozen!



We caved and bought merchandise, snuck in Halloween candy, and shed some happy tears! Sophie sang along to every song, mesmerized the entire show.  Cameron sat in Doug's lap, snuggling his new stuffed reindeer the entire show.  Unbelievable.

Fall!






The weather turned overnight.  It is cold in the morning, but the skies are still blue in the afternoon, allowing us to be out and play.  We have had Unbelievable picture perfect moments.






Other Unbelievable moments:

Doug Unbelievably wore his high school rugby jersey while carving pumpkins

Cameron paused during his playground exploration to do the Pledge of Allegiance with the rest of the Elementary school.  Unbelievable. 
An Unbelievable Lego world
Unbelievable sweetness.  

And in case you need another Unbelievably good laugh...

No comments: