Monday, October 26, 2015

And Then...

And then... she was six.



While some of us were exhausted by Sophie's birthday celebrations....



... others of us were exhilarated by her birthday joy and gratitude!



Sophie was born at 6:43 AM on Monday, October 26th, 2009.  Today, at 6:43 AM on Monday, October 26th, 2015, Doug and I were in the bathroom getting ready for the day and talking about Sophie when all of a sudden we heard her footsteps enter our bedroom.  (Note: our kids have clocks and they know they aren't allowed to leave their beds before 7 AM.)  Sophie woke up and came downstairs EARLY right at the exact time she was born, 6 years ago (forgetting that we were on PST....!)  She had no idea what an amazing coincidence that was.






Daddy had to fly out of town in the morning, but he squeezed in time to walk the birthday girl to school.  It was perfect.  




At the beginning of this school year, Sophie and I started our own book club: Whitfield Girls Book Club.  My daughter, my now 6-year old, is thoughtful in her commentary, perceptive in her analysis, sophisticated in her vocabulary, and creative in her ideas.  I'm not exaggerating; she is an English teacher's dream.  She is the ideal book club member, and I have treasured our book club meetings like nothing else.  6 years ago today, when she was less than a day old, I had no idea how my heart could continue to grow and expand with love and pride for my girl.  Watching her brain work, witnessing her mind make connections and ask questions, listening to her critiques of characters and plot... I am humbled.  So, today, on her 6th birthday, she asked that we have a book club meeting.  We sat at the dining room table, her birthday crown still on her head, and we talked.  And it was the perfect ending to her birthday celebrations.

{#WhitfieldGirlsBookClub #1}


{#WhitfieldGirlsBookClub #2}


{#WhitfieldGirlsBookClub #3}


{#WhitfieldGirlsBookClub Birthday Edition!!}




Thank you, Sophie, for making me a mommy and for teaching me so much.

No comments: