Thursday, April 9, 2015

Tales of Spring



The days of February and March quickly evaporated into thin air, and we eagerly embraced the fresh air of the April season.





Photos cannot capture the sweet and genuine friendship between my two kids.  My brother and I are exactly 2 years apart, and I know that he and I are unique in the closeness of our relationship over the past 30+ years.  But, I didn't anticipate that at 5 and (almost) 3, Sophie and Cameron would have such loyalty, such devotion, and such excitement for one another.  The conversations that the kids have in the car home from Sophie's preschool and at the kitchen table over lunch demonstrate how much they miss one another when they're separated.  Sophie is protective of Cameron, often acting as his second mother (nagging tendencies and all....).  She squeals with pride when he identifies letters and numbers or uses a new word ("that's such a smart word choice, Cam!").  Cameron thrives off all of his interactions with her, and brings creative and adventurous ideas to all of their imaginative games.  He works hard fighting for 'air time' --as we call it-- to get a word in with all of her stories and reading and singing.  {As I type this blog, they have already played a game pretending to be wild and crazy dogs with British accents who bite and tickle mommy and daddy.  And now they are upstairs sitting at Sophie's desk playing with legos together.}













For Easter, the Whitfield 4, the Johnson 4, and Grandma and Papa all converged in Walla Walla to spend the holiday with Great Grandma! 4 generations! 






My brother and I have so many memories spending Easter with my Grandma and Papa, searching for eggs in their backyard.  And this year, Grady, Cameron, and Sophie created that same experience.  And Great Grandma experienced what it's like when all four of these adorable kids get together: fun madness!! 







Cameron and Sophie had a slumber party in one of my grandma's bedrooms just like my brother and I used it to.  I vividly remember so many mornings sneaking downstairs in my grandparent's house to find my grandma fussing around in the kitchen, preparing the day's homemade meals.  And sure enough, 30+ years later, as I tiptoed downstairs over Easter weekend, there she was-- in her bathrobe and slippers-- making coffee, warming cinnamon rolls, emptying the dishwasher.  Sophie and Cameron loved their time with Great Grandma as she shared stories about my dad growing up, as they played with the toys she has saved all these years, and as she spoiled them with hugs and kisses. The word 'special' only begins to touch the surface to describe the Easter weekend in Walla Walla.  

Let the overabundance of photos commence!

























We took a family walk through Whitman campus to show the future Whitties their campus and to bore them with stories about mommy and daddy back in the day...









And the end of a full weekend always ends like this:

 

No comments: