Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sophie Marie Turns 4!

Happy Birthday, Sophie!!




This has been a major year for Sophie in so many ways.  As I've stated before, our family's geographical move coincided with or precipitated huge development in Sophie.  I watched my independent, sweet, thoughtful, intelligent, and silly girl at her birthday party; her growth between age 3 to age 4 has been massive, and I'm in awe of her.  She's the kind of girl whom I would want to be... the kind of girl I would want to be friends with... the kind of girl I would want my child to be friends with.  She's the kind of girl I always dreamed would be my daughter.  Doug and I feel very lucky to have her as our oldest child.  She is emotional and sassy and stubborn, but her creative, inquisitive, and hysterical moments far outweigh any diva-like moments she may exhibit! She had a day of celebrations at school and then later, she enjoyed a big party at our neighborhood barn with all her friends.  On her actual birthday, we spent time as a family of 4 giving her room a "big-girl" makeover.  In the evening, we joined Auntie A, Uncle Chris, and Grady at Red Robin for a surprise dinner for Sophie.  And her birthday weekend ended with tears and some of these tearful pleas: "I wish I was 10. No, I just wish I was 55. It's taking so long for me to be 55" and "I just miss my crib or my toddler bed.  I can't scissor kick in my new bed" and "I can't go to sleep because you took me to Red Robin and I can never sleep after that dinner.  You know that." She was irrational, emotional, and exhausted after a weekend of sweet, sweet celebration! That's my 4-year old girl!!

No harvest birthday party in a barn would be complete without chickens!








So much to love about this photo: best buds/cousins holding their own among the older kids AND unprompted handholding with brother and birthday girl

Brady seriously couldn't stop hugging and kissing Sophie.  These two...







After crafts, games, dinner, and sweets, the party spread outside of the barn.
The kids were doing great-- running, playing, wrestling. 
And then...the sprinklers turned on!!

Love this photo of blurry Doug running out to save the kids!
Sopping wet and so happy!
drying up at the end of the night!


Happy, happy birthday to our baby girl!

(photo courtesy of our dear dear friend, Carrie, of Purple Martin Studios...more family photos to be revealed soon!)


1 comment:

Ali said...

What a great birthday party! We love you so much Sophie Marie and love that we got to celebrate your big day together!