Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pumpkin Patch 2013


This Saturday, we met our favorite Boise people--Uncle Chris, Auntie Ali, and Grady--at Linder Farms.  



Pumpkin Patch visits have always been a special Fall tradition for the Whitfields.  (Check out these previous visits: 2010, 2011, 2012).  The farm visits are a favorite for many reasons: the incredible natural beauty this time of year, the absolutely adorable scenes of young children trekking through the mud to find a pumpkin that weighs more than they do, the easy access to warm donuts and cider, the great photo opportunities that arise.... but for me and Doug, these visits are especially significant because they mark one of the most wonderful seasons of excitement and anticipation and joy: the build up to Sophie's birthday.  


sheer excitement at all the tractors!! 

more tractors!!






This year, on the cusp of Sophie's 4th birthday, I couldn't help but recall how our talkative 11 month-old daughter crawled through the mud on her first visit to the farm looking for her first"boo-kin".  And then, I have beautiful images etched in my memory of her sitting in a wheelbarrow while Doug pushed her through the pumpkins.  This year's visit to the farms didn't disappoint.  I got to watch my girl (not a baby, not a toddler, just a normal, little girl) walk through the farm with her Daddy. I got to see her being loved by her Auntie and Uncle.  And I got to see two little boys (who deserve their own post to document their cuteness) toddle through the pumpkins and squeal with joy at the tractors and trucks.



Muscle Man 
Muscle Woman

such a sweet, curious, and joyful nephew

I flashed forward in my mind to imagine the cousins as teenagers picking out pumpkins, rolling their eyes at their incredibly hilarious parents, politely smiling for "just one more photo" to appease me, and ultimately appreciating this wonderful fall tradition.  





cute trouble 


at home with our new pumpkins!
Our neighborhood celebrates Halloween with a big party, a large corn maze in the farm, pumpkin decorating and carving contests, scarecrow building nights, and home decorating contests. While we are not in the running for an award for "Scariest House", we did add somebody new to our decor this year: 
Meet Bones, the dog
 

practicing snow-shovelling
 

sunset view from our home
Happy, happy fall from the Whitfield 4.

No comments: