Saturday, August 31, 2013

Back to School: 2013




Sophie had two very positive (and different) introductions to preschool last year (in Bellevue and in Boise).  And, last week, she kicked off the school year at yet another, new preschool!

It makes me tear up every time I drop her off because it is THE perfect place for her.  Last winter, when Doug and I spent a weekend in Boise solidifying our desire to move here, we visited this particular preschool that I had randomly found online.  Within 5 minutes of meeting the owner/teacher, we knew Sophie would thrive in this academic and Christian environment.  As the owner talked to us and gave us a tour, I remember nudging Doug in the back and mouthing "This is amazing! Sophie HAS to come here."  Every time that the teacher explained some aspect of the school that I knew would be wonderful for Sophie, I would nudge Doug.  (When we returned to our rental car after this initial meeting, Doug kindly asked me not to nudge him so much because I wasn't doing it very discretely or gently...!) Essentially, we committed to this Boise preschool before we even found a house, a neighborhood, etc...!! Like everything associated with our move to Boise, this preschool decision has been the right one. 


Cameron was the only Whitfield to cry at preschool drop-off! He didn't want to leave!  


my 3 favorite people in the whole world

Our articulate, verbal, sassy, and creative girl still tends to be shy and withdrawn in classroom situations---she is still very happy and excited about everything school-related, but she engages in other ways.  We are very confident that this new school environment will challenge her, will inspire her, will entertain her, will teach her, and will nurture her.

She has had homework (some tracing and mazes) which has been fun.  In response to the one maze homework for next week's class, she said "Gosh, I'm going to be so busy over the weekend with all this homework.  It's going to be great."

Sophie remembers every detail of each preschool day; we get the full report on exactly what the teachers say, what students do, the length of one girl's braids...she is just as observant and focused as ever! On the 2nd day of school, I sat in the lobby waiting to pick Sophie up.  A mom and dad entered and we introduced ourselves to one another.  I explained that my daughter was named Sophie, and they both smiled and gave a little look.  Apparently, their daughter was very nervous on the first day, so they told her to just find 1 little girl and become friends with her so that she wouldn't feel lonely.  Their daughter found Sophie, and according to these parents, Sophie made all the difference in their daughter's day.  It felt wonderful to envision Soph in her quiet and sweet manner having such a big impact on a new friend.

We look forward to what this year holds for our growing girl.  We are proud of her and thankful for all of the teachers out there whose enthusiasm, love, and compassion make such a difference to students on a daily basis.


No comments: