 |
| destroying a muffin last week at Grandma and Papa's |
 |
| Doug's shadow |
Before I became a parent, I criticized those "other" parents who would leash their toddlers. I'd see these curious, joyful young children tethered to their parents at the zoo or at the park, and I'd roll my eyes.
Those parents are terrible! Just keep an eye on your child... leashes are for dogs, not sweet children. What, are you afraid your toddler can outrun you? Then, I became a parent to one child and I criticized them even more.
Use consequences. Explain boundaries and expectations to your child. Be consistent. Be attentive. It's easy. Simply tell your child what they are allowed to do and not do. You don't need a leash to control your child unless you're a terrible parent. Geesh. Then, I became a parent to Cameron... and I now wish I could leash him! Cameron is sneaky! He trots along and runs with a sheepish grin on his face. He escapes to run toward heavy machinery, items with large wheels, crosswalks that lead to frequently-trafficked roads. We continue to be perplexed by his levels of understanding; Cam comprehends a majority of what we tell him. So, when we tell him "no", he shakes his head no (in response to us) and then does the behavior again and again and again. When we tell him to stop pulling his sister's hair or stop pinching or punching his cousin or to stop throwing his food, he smiles and does it faster. When we have told him to come back and stop running toward the golf carts or the end of the driveway, he shakes his head no and keeps on going. When we inevitably catch him and pick him up to turn back around, the screaming is unbearable. Hence, my desire for a leash or a cage for this crazy kid!
 |
| beautiful summer sunsets |
When discussing some various party options for her October birthday, Sophie said that she wanted to have a "throw party." What is that, you ask? In Sophie's words: "Um, a throw party is when I throw a hard baseball at your face."
 |
| "Mommy, I'm getting the heeby-geebies from this massive snake." (at the aquarium) |
Cameron adores his sister and copies everything she does--good or bad. The relationship between these two is becoming more and more fun! His list of sounds/words continues to develop. Most everything about his growth and development is completely different than Sophie's which is both confounding and exciting. He babbles like crazy. He will look me in the eyes and start babbling for 2-3 minutes. I have no idea what in the world he is saying, but he is talking with purpose, and if he doesn't get the response he feels is warranted, he will let me know!
 |
| Sophie (in the red plaid dress) and her friends enjoying another neighborhood summer concert |
 |
| We absolutely love our new community! |
 |
| Classic Elizabeth: Corona bottle and milk bottle in one hand |
At the concert, I was drinking my Corona and talking to a friend. Sophie came running up to me and said, "Mommy, what are you drinking?" I answered, "A beer." Then she said, "What company made that?" After telling her "Corona", she said "Hmm" and then ran back to dance with her friends. Later that night, Sophie and I walked home together. Daddy and Cam had returned home earlier. As we walked and held hands, we talked about old and new friends, about starting school in a few weeks, about the moon... I could have walked for miles and miles with her under the starry sky. Then she said, "Mommy, when Mason's daddy was buying me a snowcone tonight, he kept asking me about my day and what I did. I kept having to repeat myself and talk back to him. And it was all 'blah blah blah'. Know what I mean?" That's Mommy's girl!! Not a fan of small talk :)
 |
| great girlfriends enjoying a few kid-free moments at the concert |
When we moved to Boise, I had no idea how amazing it would feel to have old friends come visit us. And we have been so fortunate to have so many loving and thoughtful friends trek to Boise over the past few months. This past week, my favorite friend/neighbor, Stacey, and her daughter, Caylin came for a visit. While we missed Bob, I think Doug loved having girl talk with us and being our waiter-bartender-free babysitter! Sophie looks up so much to Caylin, and despite the several year age difference, the two girls really played well together!
 |
| Sophie and Caylin watching (with care) the three lions at the zoo |
 |
| Mudgy joins us on every errand, adventure, and event these days. |
Sophie at 3.5 years old has an incredible imagination. The lines between real life and fantasy blend together---although she knows what is real and what is fake, she continually jumps back and forth between the two worlds throughout the day. Mudgy and Moosey have backstories and adventures; they teach her lessons and tell her stories. As Sophie processes her own experiences and observations, she will often call upon her stuffed animals and lovies to make comparisons. For example, after learning about the sun in a new book about space, Sophie told me a story about how Moosey travelled to the sun on a field trip and he learned many new things, too... She loves being a Doc in her clinic to all of her stuffed animals; she will eat a rushed breakfast and tell me that she has to run upstairs quickly because she has "a lot of patients who need a check up and a diagnosis today." Doug and I love her sweet, creative mind, and we appreciate how excited our family and friends get when Sophie shares her stories with them!
And so that I NEVER FORGET, I must document two of the best imagined and recurring storylines.
1. Johnny Batoon (pronounced Bah-tune): Johnny is a 16-year old boy who has no friends, no family, no job, and no education. Sometimes Sophie becomes Johnny and sometimes she tells stories about him. It's hysterical, because he is exactly the kind of guy who will not be spending a lot of time with Sophie when she is a teenager in real life....!! She came up with his name and description all by himself (he appeared after she (and I) were getting tired of Tammy, another imaginary character who is bad news...)
2. Carmy-wrap (pronounced car-me-wrap): I hesitate to write this imagined item on a public blog, because Doug and I joke about trademarking this awesome idea. Carmy-wrap is a special kind of fur on bears that keeps them cool. Most carmy-wrap is white (like on polar bears) but Mudgy has carmy-wrap, too, which explains his need to wear a sweater in the Boise summer. Humans can't touch carmy-wrap because it has splinters all over it, so one needs to first use tweezers to pull out the splinters. Some animals who have carmy-wrap can also wear "smelling caps"which help in case Sophie or Cameron "have a squeaky bottom or something". This smelling cap is strapped over their nose so they can't smell anything bad.
These kids are crazy---obviously getting that from their father.
1 comment:
Everyone looks so great and happy! I love how much the kids are growing and developing! Idaho does have the most beautiful sunsets:)
Post a Comment