Wednesday, April 17, 2013

CRW: 11 Months









My baby doesn't seem like a baby anymore.  He is a full-on boy.  He is days away from walking, and I'm already writing a list of first-aid items that I will need at our house to prepare myself for his rambunctious antics this summer.

He is big and active and independent.  He has a sense of humor, and he has figured out how to play jokes.  He tilts his head back with big laughs after he throws food. He giggles as he tries to feed me a toy car or a mushed up piece of banana from his fist. He rolls around and laughs when I tickle him and sing "Itsy bitsy spider." He can throw balls and toys with force (although they go backward).  He sticks his hands out to "catch" balls.  He has figured out how to crawl up into Sophie's bed all by himself.  Every time he crawls up, he squeals with delight and becomes a wild child! He puts his fist to his ear and pretends to talk on the phone when Sophie and I model for him.  He squawks back at Sophie's soccer practice when her coach yells, he meows or barks (more like squeaking) back at animal sounds, and he simply exudes joy when he "catches up" or "keeps up" with big sister.



visiting Boise aquarium

And our happy boy has finally said his first word, and it's the most important word for a happy life: Mama.  He will loudly yell my name when I come into the room and he'll crawl so quickly to me.  It's heart overload.

Cam = messiest eater on face of the planet.
Cam = biggest eater on face of the planet.
He screams at the top of his lungs if he isn't eating what we are eating. Oh, BOY.



Bathtime is his all time favorite thing to do and the squeals of joy and splashing provide much entertainment.

Oh, my oldest child....
On one evening, Cameron was crying in his crib.  I decided that he needed more bottle or a diaper change, so I headed upstairs.  The minute I opened the door, I realized he had fooled me.  His crying immediately stopped. He was standing up in his crib, and when our eyes met, he got a HUGE grin on his face.  He tilted his head back to stare at the ceiling and he produced a belly laugh.  I said, "Caaammmeronnnn!" and he raised his hand to reveal that he did have his binky in his hand.  He popped the binky in his mouth and then pulled it out again.  Then, he threw the binky on the ground and started to laugh again.  It's all a game for him!



This next anecdote doesn't demonstrate good parenting, but it's worth documenting.  As much I love and appreciate Cameron's discovery of jokes, I'm tired of him throwing food on the floor and laughing while I pick it up on all fours.  I've been introducing some minimal discipline by saying "no, Cameron" or shaking my head and using complicated explanations to make my 11-month old son understand how frustrating these meal routines have become.  This week, Doug was out of town, so I was eating dinner by myself with the kids.  Cameron was throwing his apple pieces all over the floor, and he was cracking himself up.  After 10 minutes of this, I scooped up all the apples, and said "Ok, Cameron.  That's it.  You're all done."  Sophie then said, "Sh*t, game over, Cameron." I looked at her in shock, and asked her what she said.  She replied, "I say 'sh*t' when something happens by accident.  Daddy says that. And the game's over because Cameron keeps throwing his food."  Daddy immediately got a text from Mommy....but if I'm honest, I bet I'm the one who badly influenced my 3 year old...

My boy won't sit still to read a book. He shakes his head back and forth and then tilts his head far to the side and gets a big, upside down grin.  But, he is an amazing cuddler.  He will crawl really fast to me, crawl up on me and nestle his big head on my chest and neck.  It's the sweetest thing ever.  A boy's best friend is his mother, right?!

I love his sheepish grin when he's proud of himself for doing something naughty.  He may not have many words, but Cam knows what he's doing.  He is going to be trouble!

At bedtime, Sophie and I both tell one another the best part about our day and the least favorite part of our day.  (side note: these conversations are amazing.) More often than not, Sophie's least favorite part of the day deals with something that Cameron did: "My not-so-favorite part of the day was when Cameron took my bunny" or "My least favorite part of the day was when Cameron ate Louie's cat food" or "My least favorite part of the day was Cameron ripping my book."

Oh, Cameron.  You are such a joyful son.  You make us laugh, you make us roll our eyes, you make us throw our hands up in the air, and you make us complete.  I love how you crawl really fast with your head tucked low when you're on your way to doing something naughty.  I love how you cuddle with me.  I love how you give me Eskimo kisses.  I love your runny nose and red cheeks.  I love how you work so hard to play with your older sister.  And I love how you have provided great distraction these past couple months as we've embarked on a major life transition.  I'm sad that you'll never have real memories of our Bellevue home, but I'm so excited for the life ahead of you here in Boise.

11 months old!




No comments: