Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Surprise, Surprise....

B2 is a boy!


Last month, we were told that there was a 95% chance that B2 was a girl.  Although I didn't post anything publicly on our blog or on Facebook (and although Doug advised me against broadcasting the news until we were 100% sure), I told everybody that we were having another girl. I created a wonderful Pinterest Board with all of my design inspirations for this little girl.  I found 2 beautiful pink quilts that were family heirlooms from 1914! Sophie knew she was getting a baby sister, and we even had her "trying out" our top name choice.  I organized and sorted through all of Sophie's old clothes, and plans were set for Doug to live in a household of women...

Look at all these girl clothes! 

But everything changed today at my ultrasound when the technician laughed at the thought of this baby being a girl.  She pointed out the "big turtle" between his legs and she repeated multiple times that yes, this baby is a boy. I broke into nervous laughter and could barely contain myself. Throughout the 30-minute appointment, I kept giggling and asking her to show me the proof again that this was a boy!

I raced home with the photographic evidence in hand, eager to share the news with Doug.  He was sitting on the kitchen floor playing with Sophie.  We had joked earlier in the day about the baby's gender.  I think our last comment to eachother on the phone was me saying "haha, what are the chances that they'll tell us it's a boy after we've prepped everything for a girl?"  So, when I returned home and found them playing in the kitchen, I kneeled down to Sophie to show her the photos of the baby.  When I got to the "turtle" ultrasound picture, I said, "Sophie, here is a picture of your baby brother."  Doug lost all expression in his face and just stared at me.  Then he said a jumble of words that included "What? Are you kidding me?  Are you serious?  It's a boy?"  And then he may have had some tears--what we call "happy tears" in this house.

This is the "turtle" shot that clearly confirms gender!!

I am still in shock!  But, we are so excited to welcome this baby boy in mid-May.  He is healthy and active, weighing 14 ounces.  His heartbeat is strong and he has the cutest profile.


Now, I need to completely redo my vision board for the nursery, figure out what I'm going to do with 5 tubs filled with little girl clothes, change my whole perspective of my family of 4 (I thought we'd have 2 teenage girls living in this house in 13 years!), and prepare for a whole different kind of baby/toddler!  Game on, little boy.


As Doug said, we have an awesome story for his 21st birthday.....his "turtle" was way too small and they thought he was a girl....



No comments: