Sunday, January 15, 2012

"I have to be older...."


We have had the most glorious Sunday--started with church and a trip to Starbucks, included lots of arts/crafts time and singing and dancing parties, peaked with a major snowstorm that allowed us to play outside, and culminated in some of Sophie's silliest antics ever!  When you add in the fact that our little baby boy spends most of his days kicking me, the day gets even more glorious!



I've been jotting down lists--on random sticky notes, on my phone, by my bed, in my day planner--of all the hysterical commentary out of Sophie's mouth.  I've only documented a small portion of her conversations, but seriously, this child of ours brings so much joy.

"Mommy, I put something on your back."
"Sophie, what is it?!!"
"Mommy, it's your background."

Anytime there is a problem--from a broken toy to a lightbulb that needs changing to a plate that I can't reach to a missing sock--Sophie says "Maybe, you need Daddy to fix it."  Daddy is the hero who fixes everything around here, apparently.  Doug was completing some construction projects and Sophie said, "Daddy a doctor fixing something downstairs."

The idea of being a doctor has expanded to play time, too. Dr. Sophie has her own clinic, license to prescribe medicine, tools of the trade, and an eager and ever-growing list of patients seeking appointments.  The kiwi "bonked his head."  Chuckie the dog "is sick because he have Louie fur in his mouth." Many animals appeared to lose their eyes by hitting them on the wall.  Exams included measurements, stickers, checklists, use of binoculars and a flashlight, and sponge baths.




Dr. Sophie's clinic had a very busy and chaotic waiting room.  
"Fargo" was measured to be "in 5 days long."
Dr. Sophie was extremely thorough in her check ups. Nothing went unseen. 
For several weeks, we have been attempting to clarify the difference between an "elevator" and an "alligator."  Riding up and down an alligator has an entirely different meaning...finally, today, Sophie was fed up with us trying to get her to pronounce the correct word.  She turned to us and said, "I can't say it."  It shut us up.

(Looking out the window at our weather): "Somebody threw water on the sunshine. Maybe Quinn (her friend) did it."

(Making pretend butter, pickle, and whipped cream sandwich in her kitchen): "You need a double batch of this, mommy?"

"Mommy, you're an elephant.  I going to sit on your trunk.  I take your trunk to the store and then I put it in a book."

"Daddy, you a fox.  Mommy, you a wolf.  Fight."

(At the dinner table):  "Mommy, I hate your face."  This comment was met with a discussion about the bad word "hate" and how we should be nice to everybody.  D and I did smirk at eachother because she kind of rolled her eyes at me and I had visions of her at 15 telling me that she hates my face...


Sophie has all her ducks in a row...apparently bath toys are not to actually go in the bath.  Instead they watch.

We did our first science experiment this week with dancing raisins!
"I made a new friend at Sunday School.  She not have a name."

As I mentioned in a previous post, concepts of time, size, cost, etc. get muddled.  Daddy's ears are "4 days long."  Pretend food costs "in 2 minutes."  Negotiations on nap time include pleas to nap "30 minutes ago."

"I eating my toes because they're getting cuter."

Sophie was invited to join her friend at Buddy Day for his little soccer lessons.  Doug took her so that I could run some errands.  He reported that she preferred to pick up the ball and run.  Isn't it so much more efficient to carry the ball than try to kick it and dribble it?!  Such a girl.

(During a dance party to some oldies): "I hurt my toe on those music notes."

Sophie cannot let go of Christmas songs.  She requests her four favorites during her nap/nighttime routine: Silent Night, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman.  She sings these throughout the day, at the store, to her friends.  Lately, she has found it hysterical to change the words and add silly nouns in the songs (ex. "Jingle cars, Jingle cars, Jingle on the road.").  Then, she started making up her own songs to the tune of the Christmas songs.  Verses included phrases such as "Buttons, buttons, get on my shirt!" and "Foal is in a book and foal is in my shades."  Another favorite song is The Itsy Bitsy Spider.  At the craft store, she was belting out this song; some other shoppers were amused, others looked annoyed, but Sophie was confident and adorable.  As soon as we were in the checkout line, Sophie changed the lines to say "The Itsy Bitsy Spider crawled up Mommy's belly."  It was cute, until she interrupted her song to tell the checker that her mommy has a really, really big belly now.







I was doing a simple art project for the baby's nursery.  I asked Sophie if she thought her baby brother would like these frames in his room.  Sophie said, "Um, maybe not.  I don't think so." Then she patted me on the back, said "It's ok, mommy. That's just an accident."

And finally, I must address the title of this blog: "I have to be older."  This is Sophie's new sentence to address anything that she doesn't want to do or can't do.  Potty training. Reaching the pedals on her trike.  Throwing away garbage.  Eating a vegetable.  For example, I said "Sophie, can you please pick up your blocks and put them back in the box?"  Sophie replied, "No, I have to be older first."  "Sophie,  do you want to wear this fancy barrette in your hair?" "No, I have to be older."


Speaking of older...I'm now 22 weeks pregnant.  Overall, I feel great.  Baby boy punches, kicks, and makes certain that I know when he is not comfortable.  I just can't wait to meet him!


PS.  My excitement for the birth of our baby boy is matched by the excitement of another new arrival to our family.  My brother and sister-in-law are due with their first baby in August.  I'm thrilled!  (see their blog for the cute announcement!)

1 comment:

Ali said...

Somebody did throw water on the sunshine... so cute. I love the picture with her trike wheels packed with snow. You look great, E!