Thursday, January 19, 2012

Don't Go




Doug and I love snow, so this snow week has been amazing for our little family!  I've had snow days all week long which means that we've had lazy mornings of pancakes, hot chocolate, and sticker crafts.  We've lived in our snow hats and slippers.  Our entry way is littered with wet coats, snow pants, mittens, and boots.  The kitchen table is covered in unfinished art projects, Dr. Sophie vet supplies, and half-eaten gingersnap cookies (ok, who am I kidding? I'm eating the whole cookies like I'm storing up for winter....).  We've been dumped with snow and today, it's covered with ice.  We've enjoyed a fun dinner with our neighbors and then a morning walk to the Pancake Corral down the street.  We have only ventured out a couple times (with Doug behind the wheel) to buy a sled, to get our Starbucks fix, and to buy some construction materials at Home Depot.  This has been the most unexpected and exciting surprise to be shut in our house looking at our snow covered yard and trees.

After the major snowstorm hit, we spent the entire morning out in the snow.  Sophie loved to go sledding, squealing and commanding Doug to go faster.  She raced down the little hill in our backyard and would fly between my legs at the bottom.  She was so bundled up that her arms couldn't really relax by her sides, but she still threw snow, ate snow, and jumped in the snow.  She also helped Doug build a little snowman whom SHE named "Don't Go."  We were puzzled at first by this name until she explained that it was like "Frosty the Snowman when that little girl doesn't want him to go away."  Frosty melts away and the girl says "Don't Go."  Her name choice is hysterical.  Don't Go is still out in the backyard, covered in ice.  Periodically, Sophie peeks out her window, saying "I check on Don't Go.  He still have a hat on. He have a carrot nose", etc, etc.  I'm not sure how we'll handle it when Don't Go really does go....







Sophie loves Rice Krispies cereal for breakfast.  She thinks it's fantastic that the cereal says "Snap, Crackle, Pop."  This morning, after we ate some cereal, we headed outside for an adventure, despite the freezing rain.  Sophie commented how the sound of that freezing rain hitting the ground and trees sounded like "Snap, Crackle, Pop."  Pretty poetic if you ask me...

(Don't Go covered in snow/ice after 2 days) 





On another and somewhat related note:  Since we've been cooped up in the house with such exciting and extraordinary circumstances, Sophie has been exhibiting some "exciting and extraordinary" behavior at times.  I've noticed that it's hard for her to adjust to normal life after she has the high of a really fun time--(ex. the joy and overstimulation of Christmas).  So, to balance out the laughter and excitement of fun in the snow, we've had some fun in time outs.  I won't go into detail about all of naughty behavior because I'd like to maintain the illusion (on this blog) that she is just the greatest child 100% of the time... but I will share some funny stories about her toddler attitude.  Sophie was making a silly face and singing a funny song, so I started to laugh. She yelled "Don't laugh, mommy."  The word "no" has been said to just about everything.  I asked her if she wanted a chocolate chip cookie and some hot cocoa, and she scowled at me and said "NO, NO, NO!!!!"  She had a dirty diaper, and I said that it was time for a diaper change.  She replied, "No diaper change.  I like sitting in poop." I could go on....but Doug and I have used the word "naughty" to describe her behavior during several stern discussions.  Today in the car, as we were navigating the icy roads to Home Depot, Sophie started telling a story about a naughty mommy and a naughty daddy and a naughty cat who were playing the naughty snow...She is such a rascal!!




And, as I was writing this post, I got another call from my school district that school is already cancelled for tomorrow!


No comments: