I'm afraid that as a kid, as a teenager, as a young adult, and even as a young, married adult, I did not grasp the significance of Mother's Day. It has been well documented on this blog, but I have quite honestly, THE BEST mother in all of the land. I have always had nothing but appreciation of and respect for her. I frequently tell her I love her, and I thank her for the abundance of joy and security she has brought to my life. Each Mother's Day, I have recognized her with small tokens of my love and admiration, but although I genuinely celebrated the holiday, I had no concept of its importance.
Now, as a mother, I look forward to Mother's Day each year more than my own birthday, more than Christmas, more than our wedding anniversary... Doug always goes above and beyond to make sure that he and the kids show me and tell me what I mean to them. It is one of those days when I find myself taking a step back from the chaos of a (nearly) 2 year old and a 4 year old, taking a step back from the mess of cars strewn all over the house and the shoes that have been kicked off in the middle of the floor, and taking a step back from my constant stream of nags, of frustrations, of exhaustion! And once I've taken that giant step back, I'm flooded with gratitude, with heart overload, with pride, with joy, with excitement, and with love. Mother's Day centers me and reminds me of what is good and right in this world.
Sophie and Doug bought me some sweet gifts, and Cameron kept saying (in more of an inquisitive tone), "Mommy Day? Happy Mommy Day?"
This year was additionally special because Doug's mum was in town. I cannot think of the last time that he has been able to be with his mum on this holiday, so he was able to make two Whitfield mothers feel wonderful this year!
I vividly recall two years ago, on Mother's Day. Doug, Sophie, and I continued our annual tradition of visiting Pike Place Market, and we eagerly awaited baby brother to make his arrival. I will forever link some of those wonderful feelings of anxiety, of excitement, and of anticipation associated with Cam's birth-day with Mother's Day. The two are very much intertwined in my heart. This year, as I looked back through the photos from Mother's Day weekend, I was struck by how big my baby boy is. How big. How loving. How sweet. How naughty. How cunning. How independent. How cuddly. How hysterical.
Being a mother is the most amazing, most incredible, most challenging and most important role I've taken on in my life. I feel especially fortunate to have married a husband who has such love for the mother of his children and who shows such gratitude for my role as a stay-at-home mommy.
In the words of my (nearly) Birthday Boy, a few days late, "Happy Mommy Day?"
![]() |
| A seriously adorable real-life John Deere advertisement in our back yard |
| one of the weekend's adventures |
![]() |
| These crazy kids.... |
A Happy Mommy, indeed.











No comments:
Post a Comment