Saturday, November 16, 2013

D and E à Paris!

Last week, Doug and I enjoyed a trip to Paris.  It was an amazing voyage filled with delicious food and drink, miles and miles of walking and exploring, visits to historical masterpieces, and appreciation of the French culture.  We loved our time together, and it was a bit unnerving how rarely I thought of the kids who were home in Boise with Papa and Grandma-extraordinaire....!!! Thank you, my D, for such a memorable vacation.  Paris is a beautiful city to experience and there is no one else in this world with whom I'd rather travel there!

enjoying a Saturday Parisian market
our view from the top of the Arc d' Triumph
view from our hotel room

top of Notre Dame
documenting our day to day details while sitting in an outdoor cafe 
midnight in Paris
loving my life
riding bikes along the Seine to the Eiffel Tower
buying Christmas gifts in another outdoor market

the only photo of me leading the way on bikes...the rest of the time I was dodging cars, people, monuments to keep up with D.
our walk up the Arc

Parisian love

Le Louvre
my awe of Napoleon's apartment
"kids? What kids?"

Find Elizabeth in the cafe

at Jardin Du Luxembourg
The next three photos document one of the most hysterical "lost in translation" moments in my life.  Doug's main meal came out as raw meat.  It had been pounded thin and came with three dipping sauces.  The waiter said "bon appetit!" and left.  We waited a few moments, but there was no indication that this was an incomplete meal.  Here is photo #1 as D prepares to take his first bite:

And then photo #2 to show him continuing to eat.  Despite my protests of concern and my pleas to not eat the raw meat, Doug said that it tasted good and that it was OK.


10+ minutes later, the waiter came back with a hot stone intended for cooking the meat.  Here is Doug's face at that realization:

direct quote from D after the waiter left: "A little heads up would have been nice."
I laughed until I cried.  And then I got nervous that Doug would be ill for the rest of the vacation. But he has a stomach of steel, and in fact, he maintains that the raw meat tasted better than the cooked meat.  We are going to spend more time brushing up on our French before the next visit to avoid any other confusing situations like this! 





our favorite crooked street



rainy day at Le Sacre Couer
A wonderful D and E adventure!





1 comment:

Ali said...

This trip looks amazing!!!