Monday, September 24, 2012

What did I do?

This past week, I had the opportunity to meet up for a couple drinks with some friends/colleagues from the English Department at BHS.  They filled me in on students, curriculum, great gossip, hysterical stories...I had been missing the friendships and professional relationships that I had cultivated during my 9 years of teaching.  Sitting around a table with these 4 people sparked a part of me that I had been missing---the English teacher part.  Although I have a life filled with blessings, I left that afternoon thinking "What did I do?" I love teaching, I love education, and despite all the workplace drama dynamics, I loved being a part of a professional community.  By giving that up, what did I do?!!

But I can answer that question.  What did I do?

I dropped Sophie off at preschool and took Cameron to his first Kindermusik class.



(more first day photos shared by Mrs. Laurie, Sophie's teacher)
What did I do?
I went to the park on a playdate with a new friend and her two children. (And we have a 2nd date in the works!)
I drove Sophie home from preschool and listened to her chatter on and on about everything she did that morning.
I stayed in my pajamas, cuddled both of my children, and read a stack of books.
I fed Cam his first tastes of rice cereal and laughed at his massive grins of excitement.







What did I do?
I made homemade muffins and cleaned the house during a rare double-nap marathon for S and C.
I went to my first Parent Committee meeting at the preschool.
I read the story "Finding Nemo" no less than 10 times in anticipation of Sophie's first trip to the movie theatre with Daddy to see the movie in 3-D.

Thumbs up for her first movie!
Her first movie theatre date: Daddy!
Love those 3-D glasses

What did I do?
I sat in bed cuddling with Cam while Sophie cuddled in bed with Doug and we watched an episode of "Caillou."
I took Sophie to her Kindermusik class with Cam wonderfully strapped in the Baby Bjorn.
I got up 3 times one night with Cam...
I took the kids to explore a new park, made homemade play dough, and talked in a British accent for 2 hours.
I chaperoned Sophie's first field trip.





What did I do?
I tried to rationalize with a crying toddler who became upset because she said "I wish I could go to Iraq someday" and I didn't give her the answer she wanted.
I  decorated our house for Halloween (already!) and have been writing lists and lists of all my fun ideas for my nearly 3-year old's birthday party next month.
I watched Cameron roll over 3 times in a row.
I heard Sophie tell an elaborate, imaginary, and WITTY story that had me laughing hysterically.
I joined Doug, Sophie, Cameron, and Gramps for a FUN adventure to Remlingler Farms to enjoy the rides and the animals.





This was a lot safer (and more fun) than it looks... 
Thanks, Gramps, for such an exciting way to kick off fall!


So, what did I do? I made a wonderful decision to be a mommy who stays at home with my two beautiful children.  My heart/mind still wanders back to my "old life" as a teacher, but my days are so filled with the blessings that come with this new job.

And seriously, some people would pay to see these faces everyday:



Happy Fall, blog-reading friends!





3 comments:

Alexis Gradwohl said...

I love it! Since Hayden started school FULL time I have literally never been so busy! It's nuts. And I only have one child. I'm hoping that it's going to slow down but I don't think that's going to happen. I feel so lucky to be able to stay home. But I feel you, I really miss teaching.

Alexis Gradwohl said...

I love it! Since Hayden started school FULL time I have literally never been so busy! It's nuts. And I only have one child. I'm hoping that it's going to slow down but I don't think that's going to happen. I feel so lucky to be able to stay home. But I feel you, I really miss teaching.

Ali said...

You made a wonderful decision and those kids are so lucky to have you and all of your love all day long! What will I do? Mail the Halloween package that I have for Soph, but thought it was too early to send... of course you are already ready for Halloween ;)