Friday, May 25, 2012

Updates


1.  Sophie:  "Mommy, why did you crack your eyes?"
     Mommy: "What do you mean?  My eyes are cracked?"
     Sophie: (pointing to the area around my eyes) "Right here.  They have big cracks."
     Mommy:  "Those are called wrinkles.  Thanks, Sophie."

2.  Sophie: (while driving) "What'd that sign say?"
     Mommy and Daddy: "I don't know.  We didn't see it."
(A variation of this question and answer repeated itself at least 5 times to the point where I considered making up a lie about the sign on the road.)
     Sophie: "Well, I saw it because I eat carrots."




3.  While I will strongly refrain from posting any details of my labor and delivery on this public blog, I will state that we were 95% sure that we would only have two children.  In the middle of labor, I pleaded in tears to Doug that he schedule a vasectomy for next week.  We will remain a family of 4.

4.  Upon checking into the Labor and Delivery reception area at 1:30 am on Friday, May 18th, we had to sit in the lobby and wait for at least 10-15 minutes.  The reception area was packed with non-laboring people.  The receptionist was watching Telemundo (Spanish soap opera) on her computer, and eventually she put her head down and fell asleep.  Unfortunately, I was the only woman in the room experiencing 1 minute contractions every 3-5 minutes... When we were FINALLY called back into the wing, the nurse turned to me and said "What are you here for?" I said, "What?" When she repeated her question, I scowled, rolled me eyes, and gave "the look" to Doug.  He immediately jumped in before I punched the nurse.  Seriously?  The rest of the labor and delivery experience included at least 2-3 more "seriously?!" moments....a perfect storm of conditions beyond our control.  Ries finally did arrive face up and with his arm covering his face.  He made quite the grand entrance.  Seriously?! And again, I repeat, we will stay a family of 4 forever.



5.  Sophie: "Mommy, Ries has to be 62 before he play with Sophie town (her wooden train set)."

"Ssssshhhhhhhhh"
6.  My birthday is approaching, and we have some special plans to see the play version of "The Hungry Caterpillar."  It will be a special date with Mommy, Daddy, and Sophie only--"no baby brother." Sophie and I were discussing my birthday when I asked her what present Daddy should give me.  Completely UNPROMPTED and UNSCRIPTED, Sophie replied: "Um, he should hook on a new diamond for your ring."  Love that girl.  Doug still doesn't believe that I didn't feed her that line.

7.  After Sophie was born, Doug kept his hospital bracelet on his wrist until it disintegrated and fell off. This week, while I was eager to strip off anything reminding me of the hospital, Doug kept on his bracelet for Ries all week long. The ONLY reason that he took it off today (at 12:25, marking the 1-week birthday of Ries) was because he is training for multiple triathlons this summer and the bracelet caused some discomfort when swimming.  Such a doting father.



8.  And the biggest update as of late (besides the birth of our son!) is to announce my "retirement."  Although it was a very difficult decision to make, we have decided that I will stay home with the kids for the next couple of years.  After 9 years at Bothell High School, I officially resigned my position as a high school English teacher.  I know how lucky I am to have worked with such intelligent, committed, and dynamic professionals.  I love my job, my subject matter, my schedule, and the students, but I am overjoyed to move on to this next chapter in my life.  I feel so fortunate to have this opportunity.  On my last day of work (clearly before I gave birth), I cried the whole way home in the car.  It was such an overwhelming experience to be driving away from a place that has meant so much to me.  When I pulled into the driveway, Sophie and Daddy came running out the door and Sophie yelled, "Happy Retirement, Mommy!"  They threw me a retirement party.  I told Doug that it was probably one of the top 5 sweetest things that he has ever done for me.  I will return to the classroom eventually, and I am so thankful for every student, every teacher, and every staff member with whom I have worked.  But, I am ecstatic to be able to take Sophie to preschool in the fall, to have morning playdates with friends, to have lazy mornings in our jammies by the Christmas tree, to spend 1:1 time with Ries, etc, etc.  And I am very thankful to have a husband who is supportive of my desire to stay home with our children.




Two healthy children, 1 annoying cat, 1 good-looking husband...there has definitely been a lot of heart-overload this week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your retirement. :) And your cracked eyes...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.