Saturday, April 10, 2010

A School Night

(taken on Easter 2010)

My wonderful 5 1/2 month maternity leave has ended; I head back to BHS bright and early on Monday morning. I have been blessed to be able to stay home with Sophie this long, but I am still anxious about leaving her.

Highlights of my time at home:

-enjoying play dates with new and old friends
-walking/running through our beautiful neighborhood each afternoon
-drinking my morning chai on the carpet of the nursery while Sophie plays with her toys
-snuggling in bed each morning with Sophie and Doug
-mastering the art of the quick shower
-laughing at/with Sophie until my eyes fill with tears
-eagerly waiting for the post-nap HUGE, ear to ear grins that Sophie gives me from the crib
-emailing D photos of Sophie throughout the day
-strapping on the Baby Bjorn to take Sophie on adventures to the grocery store (she loves it as much as her mum), to the aquarium, to Pike Place Market
-observing Sophie develop, learn, grow, change on a daily basis
-reading stories in our pajamas on our comfy, cozy days :)
-falling asleep with gratitude after a stressful day of public meltdowns and blowouts
-lying on blankets in the living room under the Christmas Tree
-finding the closest drive-through Starbucks
-dancing and singing through the house hoping our neighbors don't see my crazy antics...
-mooing and peeping and meowing and quacking...
-learning patience
-falling more in love with my husband as I hear him remind Sophie how much he loves her

I have always struggled with change, and this "first" school night appears to be one of the biggest transitions in my life. I didn't think it was possible to love somebody as much as I love Sophie. The thought of leaving the house before she wakes up each morning makes me sad. I don't want to miss one minute of her beautiful, amazing life.

But, I will work hard to be a fabulous teacher, a fabulous wife, and a fabulous mum. (Plus, in case anything goes wrong, I've stockpiled our house with enough groceries, filled the freezer with homemade food for Sophie, done load upon load of laundry, purchased extra batteries, lightbulbs, and paper towels, organized and reorganized every room in our house, and forced my husband to miss parts of the Masters to mow the lawn...we're prepared for Armageddon at this house!!)

**Stay tuned for next week's post when I introduce you to the person taking care of Sophie this spring....Mrs. Doubtfire has nothing on our nanny**

2 comments:

Erin and Andy said...

Good luck Elizabeth! I am convinced you CAN do it all. I will be thinking about you this week!

The Oldelehrs said...

Good luck this week! It will be hard at first but it will get easier. I can't wait to hear about the new nanny. Sounds like Sophie will be in good hands:)