For (nearly) 30 years, my mom has consistently acted selflessly, compassionately, and generously toward me. On numerous occasions, I haven't been able to find adequate words to thank her. In those situations, my mom has always told me that she knows I'm appreciative, but that's what moms do for their children. She would always remind me that when I had my own children, I would act the same way. Since having Sophie, I understand exactly what she means; I would do anything for my child.
Even though I am now a mother, my mom has continued to take care of me as her daughter. As I became anxious about returning to work and leaving Sophie, my mom volunteered to help with that transition this spring. For the next 10 weeks, she has put her life on hold in Spokane and moved over to Bellevue to love and to care for Sophie during the day. She has rented a furnished apartment (think: dorm room but worse....) and will be commuting back home to my dad on the weekends. (She will take a week off here and there for good behavior!) This amazing sacrifice helps us out for many reasons; it comforts us to know that Sophie is thriving during the day, because she is with somebody who nurtures her, educates her, and spoils her with hugs and kisses! Her support made my first week back to work an easy transition. Every afternoon, I struggled to think of new ways to say "Thank you" to my mom. Her thoughtful and generous actions mean everything to me and to Doug. (And, we must thank my wonderful dad who is sharing my mom with us during the weeks!!) Sophie and my mom enjoyed music and gym class this week. They went on several walks through the neighborhood. They sang the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" dozens of times....Sophie's routine wasn't disrupted thanks to my incredible mom.
The success of my first week back to school is in large part due to my mom, the best nanny in the world! My mom claims that she benefits as much from this arrangement as we do. And of course, this week, on several occasions, she reminded me that I would make this sacrifice for Sophie in 30 years. She's right.
We love you, Mom-Grandma-Mrs. Doubtfire extraordinaire!!
2 comments:
AWESOME. what a perfect plan... and what an awesome mom you have!
How wonderful! Your mom looks just beautiful in these pictures! Hope they are having a great time together. Sophie is one lucky little girl!
Post a Comment