Monday, May 18, 2015

Cameron Ries Whitfield: 3 Years Old



Once upon a time, there was an energetic, hysterical, and sweet boy who loved to tell stories.  He spun tall tales with a glimmer in his eyes and a dimple on his cheek.  This boy created his own marine animal, aptly named a Sea Bottom, and cracked his audience up with the sordid details of the Sea Bottom's life.  This storyteller had no concept of time, often mistaking what happened "yesterday" or "last night" with experiences that happened months or years ago.... or experiences that haven't yet happened; he loved to share stories about "last night when I was a daddy...."
...birthday snack in his new camping chair...


This 3 year old storyteller also created his own language, often only discernible to select family members.

"she's a grill" = she's a girl
"bulldigger" = bulldozer
"B-aus-tralia" = Australia
"Bustruction" = construction
"Please may I have a nack?" = please may I have a snack?
"High-ecation" = Higher Education (the monster truck school bus)
"That's a puter" = that's a computer

In addition to developing unique vocabulary, our fun-loving birthday boy exhibits a creative usage of prepositions.

"I'm taller OF Daddy."
"Sophie's better FROM jumping AT me."
"Daddy's driving home FOR the store."




Other favorite catch phrases for the little man include the following:

"Sophie, please may I play with you or are you doing your own thing?"
"Stop that cuz you're annoying me." (in response to my singing)
"Isn't that a great idea?" or "I have a great idea!"
"Have a great day!"
"Well, actually..." and "Or maybe..."
"I did that cuz I a big boy and big boys do that."
"You're going to freak out."
"I don't like meat cuz Dinosaurs eat meat. And I just want to be a kid."
"I already did." (when asked to eat more dinner.)
"Did you see my new technique?" (vocab absorbed from his best friend, Sophie, and usually referencing his position on the toilet seat.)
"What's this song called?" usually followed by "Can you check your phone or your ipad to know what this song's called?"

Potty talk abounds with this little man.  But he recently found a way to avoid punishment: claiming that he is actually talking about the "letter P".  Unfortunately, his logic doesn't usually make sense to the rest of us because his potty talk has extended far beyond pee... "No, mommy.  When I said poop, I was talking about the letter P."

He is extremely literal when following directions.  Using his fork in his left hand, Cam didn't have strong or clean control, so Doug suggested that he "try eating with the other hand, buddy."  Instead of swapping the fork into the right hand, he scooped up the spaghetti directly into his right fingers.   Technically, he did follow the instructions.

His favorite pastimes: standing on a chair at the kitchen island and playing with kinetic sand or play dough.

His favorite strategy to get out of trouble: asking "mommy, please may you cuddle me?"

His favorite color: orange

His favorite song composed by him: "Orange orange everything. orange orange everything." Repeat.

His favorite song composed by a real artist: a tie between "Home" by Philip Philips and "Girl Crush" by Little Big Town

The humorous antics start the moment that Cameron emerges from his bed in the morning. His dramatic and hysterically-timed morning entrances are reminisicent of the character Kramer's entrances on old Seinfeld episodes.  Although some days, Cam starts the morning as a cat, asking for cat food for breakfast, most days, he slides or trips or stutters across the floor and into our master bedroom.  He acts startled and almost surprised to find himself in front of us.  Comical genius.





The storyteller has created detailed and strict rules for his monster trucks.  Monster trucks can't "monster" other trucks.  They can only monster cars that have been pre-approved by the boy himself. If an outsider attempts to "monster" a truck on top of the wrong type of cars, s/he should expect the wrath and fury of the 3-year old.

Me: What do you say at your birthday party when somebody gives you a present?
Cameron: Um, I say, thank you and is it a monster truck?

Cam is social and very comfortable amidst the chaos of social situations.  He distinguishes his familial connections by changing how he address me in these public environments: "My mommy." He is ahead of the times because he is correct-- there tend to be lots of mommies around, so distinguising "my mommy" from the rest of the group shows ingeuniuty.

After his birthday dinner, Cameron joined Doug and Sophie to build one of his new lego trucks.  He needed help with something, and Sophie immediately offered assistance.  Unprovoked and unprompted, Cameron said "Sophie, you're the nice grill I ever seen." He gives compliments so freely.





"I want to grow up as a mommy."

"I died that spider" or "Daddy, please can you die that fly?"

Cameron takes the wheels off of any and all vehicles that he can.  He also removes all stickers and decals from the cars.

Reminiscent of Zoolander, Cam says "really really"... "But I really really really really want a snack."

"For real?"

"Mommy, which hand" while {poorly} hiding a toy/car/snack/piece of garbage behind his back.

He loves calling us by different names.  Many days, he calls me his favorite name "Hodge."  And other days, he says random letter connections. "No, I don't want oatmeal, pilly-mon-go-go." "Well, actually, Hodge, I don't have to pee."

In addition to his funny comments, sweet affirmations, and amazing imagination, he makes awesome facial expressions that no photo truly captures.  He scrunches up his eyes, pouts his lips, breaks out into a big smile or ROARS like a dinosaur or growls like a wild cat (his 2nd favorite animal to sharks).  He is hard to punish because he is so darn cute.





hands down the pants..starts at a young age...

Sophie is his best friend, and they can spend hours playing games together-- legos, animals, dinosaurs, cars and trucks, school.  He now is more assertive and involved in their shard games, often taking her lead by saying "Sophie, pretend that..." and "Sophie, say ______" or "Sophie, talk this guy." She gets annoyed but I remind her that for many years, she has been the sole boss, and now he has the right to make creative decisions too! He is protective of her and nurtures her.  He gets so excited to pick her up from preschool, and they usually leave preschool holding hands.  Many times in the car, he will ask "Sophie, how was your day?"

I could write an entire book on our cool kid Cameron.  I have shed many tears this past weekend acknowledging that my baby is 3 years old.  He has changed SO MUCH over the past year.  I am so proud of who he has become, and I delight to imagine what he will continue to become.  We love our affectionate, confident, independent, and bright little boy.  His joy, enthusiasm, and inquiry are a blessing.

Happy Birthday, Cam.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Such a sweet post and such a sweet boy. We love you Cameron and are so happy you are part of our family!

Becky said...

Born on May 18th and his favorite color is orange? Get this sweet boy to a Giants game, ASAP!