Monday, February 11, 2013

Sophie-isms



(side note: Cam will get his own post soon, since my little guy turns 9 months this week!!)

It's time for more awesomely unbelievable comments from Sophie (in no particular order):

1.  "And then I was like 'wait a minute, those aren't normal Oreos because they're supposed to be white' and then I was like 'ok, well I'll still eat them cuz I love sugar.'" (explaining her reaction to receiving a Valentine's Day pink Oreo)



2.  "I don't want to be a doctor anymore.  Well, actually, maybe I can be a doctor on Saturdays.  But, now I want to wash windows when I grow up."

3.  "But, I just want to punch Cam.  He has such punchable cheeks. I think he'll like me to punch him."

4.  "If I was a cheetah, I'd head butt a zebra."

5.  "Mommy, remember when I was two and a half, and he (baby brother) wasn't here? Those were such good days."

6.  "I have noooo energy.  My energy is all gone so I think I need more sugar.  The candy gives me energy.  I promise it does."



7.  "JUST BE QUIET!" (yelled in the exact direction of where her brother was babbling)  When I gave her "the look" to address how rude and bossy her exclamation was, she shook her head and said "No, I was just saying that to my sandwich."

8.  Sophie is extremely observant and perceptive.  She sees details that go unnoticed by her parents!  She remembers EVERYTHING that her teachers and her friends from school say.  I love hearing the stories, and I hope she continues to tell me EVERYTHING during all her school years.  Anyway, I was introducing a new food to Cameron, and he was not having it.  All of a sudden, Sophie told him, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."  I must have given her a surprised look, because before I could say a word, she told me, "Mrs. Laurie always says that at school and Cam needs to learn that."

9.  Sophie has a love-hate relationship with dinosaurs.  She loves checking out books from the library that teach her new facts about them, she loves playing with her small dinosaurs, and she loves asking us hundreds of questions about them.  Yet, she hates seeing any displays about dinosaurs---we figured this out the hard way when we brought her to the big dinosaur exhibit at the science center.  We worked hard to reiterate that those big, moving, growling dinosaurs were FAKE and PRETEND because dinosaurs are extinct.  She replied, "So, they were real a long long time ago when we were fake?"




10.  Doug reads Sophie stories from Winnie the Pooh and Sophie cherishes the fact that it is a special time for just the two of them.  She then paraphrases the stories to me.  This week I learned that "They bounced Tigger in the fossils."  She meant "in the thistles."

11.  Sophie got a new CD from her music class.  We love these CDs, because the music is varied and entertaining.  One of the new songs is an opera but the singer is meowing like a cat. Think: a cat singing opera... All four of us were in the car listening to the CD for the first time.  As we listened to this meowing opera, I gave Doug a silent look because the song was terrible and bizarre.  After about 2 minutes of all of us quietly listening to the song, Sophie said (unprompted), "This song is creeping me out."

12.  I heard the gate open a the top of our stairs.  Sophie has free reign of the house and goes up and down as she wants.  Now that Cameron is a crawling daredevil, we have to be so careful about shutting doors and completely shutting that gate.  So, when I heard the gate open, I peeked my head around the corner of the hallway to see Sophie holding the gate open as Cameron made a beeline toward her.  Her eyes met mine, and she realized that I was watching her hold it open for him.  Immediately, she said "'I want to go downstairs' said Cameron today." So, now she makes up dialogue that Cameron supposedly says in order to justify her actions...

I could continue for hours.  We often walk a fine line between Sophie being hysterical and Sophie being bratty.  There are times that we laugh or roll our eyes at her adorable sense of humor, and then there are times when we look at eachother, and we worry that we are creating a monster.




No comments: